Construction industry will become India’s largest employer by 2022 with 72 million employees. But what does India need to do to supply skilled engineers .For a developing country like India, infrastructure is predominant for the economic progress of the country. With India’s GDP projected at 7.8 per cent in 2019, skilled professionals are the need of the hour to achieve a continued progression. Being a capital-intensive industry, construction is an imminent contributor to the national economy as the range of consumers of the construction market has varied over the years.
With close to 1.5 million engineers graduating in India every year, the country needs approximately 4 million civil engineers on an average, over the next decade, to deliver potential real estate space and planned infrastructure.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary for freshers|
|Structural Engineers||Structural Engineers design, plan and supervise the construction of infrastructural projects like buildings, bridges, etc.||INR 4-5 Lakhs.|
|Site Engineers||Site Engineers are responsible for security, safety, health, organizing, supervising material, and people working at the site.||INR 2.5-3 Lakhs|
|Construction Engineers||The main tasks of Construction Engineers are to plan, direct, and supervise large construction projectIn addition; they act as leaders and middlemen on construction projects.||INR 3.5-4|
|Geotechnical Engineers||The primary responsibility of Geotechnical engineers is to create projects and find solutions to the problems that are related to geology.||INR 3-4 Lakhs|
Career Opportunities in Civil Engineering
Students can work as any of the following job profile:
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering
- Construction Technology And Management
- Building Technology and Construction Management (BTCM)
- Environmental and Water Resources Engineering (EWRE)
- Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Infrastructure Engineering and Management
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Ocean Engineering
- Remote Sensing
- Rock Engineering and Underground Structures
- Environmental Engineering and Management
Career in Civil Engineering – Top Job Offering Organizations
After completing a degree or diploma course in Civil Engineering, one can join various private and government organizations.
- Ajay Kadam Association
- Antant Access
- Associated Engineering
- Balaji Railroad Systems Ltd
- Dr. Kelkar Consultants Pvt. Ltd
- Expert Technology – Chennai
- Gammon India Ltd
- Hiranandani Construction Pvt.Ltd
- IVRCL Infrastructure & Projects Ltd
- Jaypee Group
- Larsen and Tubro
Career in Civil Engineering – Job Opportunities
After completing UG or PG level Civil Engineering courses in India, the students have many job opportunities. The students are hired at architect firms, universities, consultancy companies, moreover, the global market, especially in Gulf countries, attractive jobs for Civil Engineering graduates. Below, we have furnished some of the specialized fields in Civil Engineering:
- Tunnels and bridges.
- Fire stations.
- Ports and harbors.
- Drainage and flood barriers.
Career Path in Civil Engineering – Skills Required
To pursue a career in the field of Civil Engineering, the engineers must acquire the following set of skills:
- Mathematical skills.
- Tests Of Building Materials
- Investigation Of soil
- Uses Of Surveying Instruments
- Standard Codes Used In Construction
- Bar Bending Schedule
- Drawing and Design
- Estimation and Bills
- Quality Control
- On-Field Management