Circular bars are preferred for the following reasons:
- Apart from being easy to produce, circular bars also have the advantage of being easy to bend and cut as per our requirements.
- They are provided with ribs which provide mechanical interlock with the concrete. This increases the bond with concrete.
- One major reason is that the starting and propagation of crackings is favored by corners instead of curves.
- Stress concentration is always more when you use anything which has corners. This can lead to premature failure of the reinforcement. To avoid this circular bars are used which have no points of stress concentrations under normal loads.
Why Circular bars are used ?
In comparison to other forms, the circular shape of reinforcing steel bars has various advantages. The following are some of the reasons why circular shapes are preferred:
- Handling and Bending Ease: Circular reinforcing bars are simple to handle and bend. These bars may be twisted to any form without splitting or breaking. This feature qualifies them for intricate forms and patterns.
- Uniform Stress Distribution: Reinforcement bars of circular shape provide consistent stress distribution. The stress is distributed evenly in all directions, ensuring the structure’s stability and strength.
- Increased Bonding: Reinforcement bars with a circular form have a stronger connection with concrete. The curved surface of the bar improves adhesion with concrete, increasing bond strength.
- Corrosion Resistant: Circular reinforcing bars are corrosion resistant. The round form decreases the amount of surface area exposed to moisture and other environmental conditions, lowering the likelihood of corrosion.
What are the benefits of using circular bars ?
There are several advantages to employing spacer bars in beam design. Among these advantages are:
- Improved Ductiliy: Ductility is increased by the circular form of the reinforcing bars. The capacity of a material to deform without breaking under tensile stress is referred to as ductility. Circular reinforcing bars may endure greater deformation before failure, resulting in improved structural performance.
- Increased Durability: Reinforcement bars with a circular form are more durable. The curved surface of the bar promotes adhesion with concrete, lowering the risk of corrosion and increasing the total lifespan of the building.
- Improved Structural Integrity: Reinforcement bars with a circular form improve structural integrity. The homogeneous stress distribution and enhanced bonding with concrete assure the structure’s stability and strength.
- Appearance: The round form reinforcing bars improve the structure’s appearance. The smooth and curved surface of the bar gives a superior finish and contributes to the structure’s overall attractiveness.